Sunday, June 6, 2010

Afghanistan

Well I've made it to Afghanistan.  No workouts yet.  I've tried to scope out a couple of the gyms and I've come to the conclusion that it's going to be interesting trying to get a workout in.  The American Gym is packed all the time, the NATO gym requires you to bring a second pair of shoes, which I didn't bring, and the Canadian Gym is only open at certain hours to non Canadians.  I've also been warned against running outside for a couple of reasons: One, the sewage treatment ponds on Kandahar are on the same side of the installation as I am going to live and work while here and the smell is very interesting when the wind is just right; two, there are only two paved roads and that means that it is very very very dusty and rocky; three, the installation is overcrowded and that means there is a lot of vehicular traffice and the last thing I want to do is be run over by 33,000 lb MRAP or even the honey sucker truck.  With that said though, I do see people running outside so I may have to chance it at night or early in the morning before the heat, dust, and traffic get too bad.

You may notice that there are still beer reviews being posted and they will continue to be posted through mid September.  I was a beer drinking fool in the last few weeks before deploying and I wrote up several reviews.  Keep checking back for those.  When I get R&R I'll drink a few more and get the reviews posted as well. 

Internet access is pretty good right now and I'll be posting workouts as soon as I get into a good battle rhythm.  I don't know though how long the internet access will last there are some course of action floating around that has me and my unit going out to more remote FOBs instead of staying on Kandahar Airfield.

0 comments:

Post a Comment